Happy Birthday to our 16th President Abraham “Abe” Lincoln!
1. Lincoln has no heirs! Although Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary Todd Lincoln produced four sons, there are no living descendants today. Three of their sons died before the age of twenty. Edward died at the age of four, Willie at twelve and Tad at the age of eighteen. Robert was the only child to live to adulthood and his last known descendant died in 1985.
2. Lincoln’s beard was was historic. Lincoln was the first president to sport a beard while serving in office…AWESOME!
3. Lincoln had a premonition that he would be killed! Not long before he was assassinated, Lincoln spoke of a dream where he heard someone weeping in the White House. When he found the room it was coming from, he asked who had died. He was told it was the president and as he approached the coffin to peer inside he saw his own face…SPOOKY!
4. Lincoln was one tall drink of water! Lincoln was the tallest President (tied with Lyndon B. Johnson who was the exact same height!) At six feet, four inches, Lincoln towered over his contemporaries. The average height for a man during that time was about five feet, six inches.
5. Lincoln only had 18 months of formal education and worked as a ferry operator and a flatboat pilot before entering the world of politics.. He loved reading and educated himself, becoming first a lawyer and later president of the United States.
GFX F BUT
Wait, why is this one on the fiction shelf?!
Lets give a shout-out to Charles Darwin who is also born on the same day and in the same year (1809) as Lincoln! Darwin was the author of The Origin of Species, Descent of a Man and many more titles! We have over twenty books and movies in our Library written by and about Darwin!
Lincoln and Darwin had a lot in common! Both lost their mothers in early childhood, suffered from depression, wrestled with religious views, had a strained relationship with their father’s, lost children to early death, spent the better part of their 20′s trying to settle on a career, neither man gave much evidence of his future greatness until well into middle age and they both sported incredibly fashionable beards!
Today is Kite Flying Day, a great time to go fly a kite. Oh wait, it’s winter!
Did you know?
Kites were first used by the military in ancient China over 3,000 years ago?! SO COOL!
Kites can be dangerous…WATCH OUT!!!
(no children were actually eaten by kites to create this GIF)!